So Anyway

The new online journal 'soanyway' has just launched: http://www.soanyway.org.uk/soanywayintro.htm

I have "Mr.Worthington's Chapel" featured. It was written after a visit to Greville Worthington's chapel to see his exhibition of Roger Hiorns http://www.a-n.co.uk/interface/reviews/single/392964. The first time I visited Greville the lines from William Carlos Williams' famous "This is Just to Say" were being installed along the top of the wall in his kitchen. The installation turned the poem into a single line rather than retaining the original line endings:

This is Just to Say

I have eaten
the plums
that were in
the icebox

and which
you were probably
saving
for breakfast.

Forgive me
they were delicious
so sweet
and so cold.

So at the Hiorns opening, Greville and I were in the kitchen agreeing that the poem needed the line breaks. About the same time, in response to 50 Heads, Robert Grenier had compared my practice with Carlos Williams; so driving away from the party, I couldnt resist responding to WCW and the Worthington Kitchen. On reflection it wasn't appropriate to allow the poem to actually fit the kitchen location otherwise it would look like I was suggesting that it replaced WCW, so instead of one long line, I wrote 3. The vertical break in the lines is notionally where the corner of the room falls.
So anyway, I am off to Dublin for a couple of days pulling together my next book "Space", and then on to Tampere in Finland to set up some projects.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Curating For The Future

The King's Basement

The Last International Poetry Dog Day